Healthy Recipe: Spring Vegetable and Quinoa Salad with Bacon
SPRING VEGETABLE AND QUINOA SALAD WITH BACON
2 1/2 cups fresh asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup frozen green peas
3 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
1 3/4 cups Ginger-Coconut Quinoa
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
5 ounces baby spinach
3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
1. Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Add asparagus and peas; boil 2 minutes. Drain. Plunge into a bowl of ice water; drain.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; set aside.
3. Add vinegar, butter, and Dijon mustard to drippings in pan, stirring with a whisk until butter melts.
4. Add quinoa and pepper to pan; cook 1 minute. Place quinoa mixture in a medium bowl; add asparagus mixture, parsley, tarragon, thyme, and spinach, tossing to combine.
5. Divide quinoa mixture among 4 plates; sprinkle evenly with reserved bacon and almonds.
Recipe Source: Adam Hickman, Cooking Light
Photo Source: Photographer = Jennifer Causey; Food Stylist = Lindsey Lower